Starting a Label
If you are starting a label, we can help! You can join AIM at any stage, and we can help you through those early days when there is a lot to learn.
Here you will find some free resources to help you set up your label. There are many many more resources and guides available in the members' section, if you go on to join AIM these will be freely available to you.
Click here to read top freelance journalist and media consultant Emmanuel Legrand's 10 Commandments To Successfully Run a Label.
TOP 5 TIPS FOR STARTING AN INDEPENDENT LABEL
1) Buy a copy of "The AIM Guide to Survival and Success in the Music Industry". Over 600 pages outlining everything you need to know to run a successful independent label, for only £10+VAT. Available here. Also download the free articles on starting a label at the bottom of this page. We also recommend The Unsigned Guide.
2) Go to your local Business Link for advice on starting a business - they can help with business plans, accessing finance and start-up support.
3) Find the music development agency for your region, they may have information of training and support available to you. The Department for Culture, Media and Sport website provides links to regional organisations here.
5) Join AIM!
- So You Want To Start a Label, What Do You Need To Do?PDF 88 Kb Published: 30 November 2002
- AIM Guide: How To Start A Record LabelPDF 137 Kb Published: 26 March 2013